Sunday, November 29, 2009

Tomatoes Are Overrated

That's right, I said it -- tomatoes are overrated.

I know a lot of people may disagree and/or not understand why I would have such an opinion.

Think about it, though. Big Tomato has managed to weasel their product into many varied types of cuisine: pizza, hamburgers, french fries, salad, pasta. Some people even eat tomatoes alone -- preposterous!

I don't eat ketchup. I have been on a personal ketchup embargo for upwards of 15 years and have no regrets about it and no desire whatsoever to return to the tomato-vinegary sauce. Why would I want it? Why should I want it?!

Pizza sauce is made with tomatoes, and it's fine -- but some people have the audacity to put tomato chunks on top of the pizza as well. What's the point of that, I ask?

You know what's a good vegetable that doesn't get its due? Broccoli. It's often served steamed, but is also excellent sauteed. You should give it a try.

2 comments:

  1. What's the point? Each to their own taste. How do you feel about onions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose many won't agree with my opinion, but I'll say it anyway. I don't mean to offend, of course -- just sharing thoughts I'd like to be heard.

    As for onions, I am not a huge fan. I give them credit for having a very bold flavor. That said, I prefer them sauteed or fried in ring/blossom form so the flavor is not quite so gripping.

    ReplyDelete