There was a time when I would have been incapable of writing a sincere, non-critical word about the Dallas Cowboys. The Cowboys are a team a Packers fan loves to hate -- on a similar plane as the Bears or the Vikings. Things, however, have changed.
The Cowboys of today are not viewed as the powerhouse they were in the mid- to late-90s. Back then, it was the Cowboys that stood in the way of the Green Bay Packers' Super Bowl hopes. The Packers eventually overcame, but the Cowboys acquired newfound prominence in the mid-2000s. They seemed unstoppable, even, although they did not manage to make it to the Super Bowl.
Most recently, I've felt pity for the Cowboys not for their international popularity or historical success, but rather for the man they call 'Coach', Wade Phillips. Well...two reasons, actually -- they also haven't won a playoff game since 1996, which is only partially Wade's fault.
To be fair, I don't know much about Wade Phillips. I'm surprised to read that he was four times previously a head coach. That said, he seems to be a dead man walking if you will. The Cowboys, though very successful in the regular season of his first year, have failed to produce. Rings. For most teams, rings are not the expectation. Jerry Jones doesn't own just any team, though.
Phillips, it seems, flounders. As far as what a coach should do, I imagine he does those things. He's been called out in the media as someone who may be fired any day for a couple of years. I suspect it will happen soon. I'm reminded of Charlie Weis. Both were brought into storied organizations to help restore some of the good of the past. Both are kind of chubby (this may/may not be relevant). Both have, thus far, failed to achieve clear-cut success.
The Irish reached relatively high rankings this season, but, alas, fell from glory as the season progressed [and Weis was canned].
I thought the Cowboys were doing similarly poorly, but upon further inspection I find that my hunch was misled. The Cowboys currently have an 8-3 record -- pretty good, actually. And so, the controversy and question remains: will Wade be fired during/after this season?
It seems the answer is anyone's guess. I surmise that it depends entirely on the Cowboys' success through the rest of the season and the postseason. Here's how I see it:
If the Cowboys don't make the playoffs (their current record suggests they probably will), Wade is gone.
If the Cowboys make the playoffs and lose in the first game, Wade is gone. (Tony Romo should probably watch his back too...)
If the Cowboys make the playoffs and win 1 or 2 games but don't make it to the Super Bowl...then it gets tricky. After all, how could J.J. fire the coach of a playoff contender?
If the Cowboys make it to the Super Bowl, then I think Wade's job is pretty much secured for another season.
I don't like the Cowboys and probably never will -- I just wanted to show a little compassion.
Thursday, December 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Is this content acceptable for your craigslist project. thanks robert
ReplyDeletehttp://rjgoldmind.blogspot.com/