Sunday, December 13, 2009

Trouble in Tiger-town

It seems Tiger Woods' house of cards has come crashing down. Rumors of infidelity seem genuine and endorsements are drying up faster than Pontiacs.

There's been a lot of talk and speculation, but it seems there isn't much to say. Tiger screwed up. He didn't screw up by being caught -- he screwed up by fooling around. Repeatedly.

While his infidelity is inexcusable, Tiger Woods remains the best golfer ever in the history of the world [in my opinion]. I haven't heard anyone suggest that he be suspended from golf or tournaments or the PGA, but if anyone did ask I would be against it. His wrongdoing has nothing to do with his golf game.

In case you've not seen it, you should watch the 'Racial Draft' featured on Chappelle's Show a few years ago. Stepping cautiously, I'll speculate that this sketch might have gone a bit differently had the latest revelations of Tiger's personal life been revealed at the time.

As for the endorsements, I find it interesting that a couple of endorsers have come out already announcing they do not plan to drop him. Gillette and Nike are two such companies. I found it very unsurprising, however, that Accenture would sever ties -- having already been involved with a major public scandal, it seems 'being a Tiger' perhaps isn't the right slogan anymore. Given that Tiger Woods shall forever remain a legend in the world of golf, I wonder if the now-cancelled Tiger Woods Gatorade will eventually become a collector item.

It's shocking to think that the value of endorsements that Tiger will lose is likely in the hundreds of millions of dollars. He certainly doesn't need the money (even if he loses a lot in a settlement with his wife), but it's astounding nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. "I haven't heard anyone suggest that he be suspended from golf or tournaments or the PGA, but if anyone did ask I would be against it. His wrongdoing has nothing to do with his golf game."

    Vicks wrong doing had nothing to do with his football game.... Yet he was punished on and off field...
    Clinton's infidilty also had nothing to do with how well he performed his presidental duties, but still he was impeached by the House of Representatives on December 19, 1998.

    So where you also against Vick being suspended from the NFL? Where you for or against the impeachment of Bill Clinton?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are tough questions.

    I was against the impeachment of Bill Clinton because I feel it was largely a partisan effort to criticize the President and a waste of time. Furthermore, he wasn't impeached for being unfaithful to his wife, but rather for perjury, obstruction of justice, and abuse of power. It was not ever realistic to think that he would (or should) be removed from office. Given that removal from office was not realistically possible, what was the point of deliberating it in Congress and the Senate?

    As for Michael Vick, I think this is a more similar case. Personally, I feel more strongly about what Vick did than I do about infidelity. It's debatable which is worse. Michael Vick was punished in the court of law, which I was in agreement with. He served time in prison. I do not feel the NFL had a moral obligation to suspend him and I think the brief suspension he received was neither too lenient nor too harsh. I'm not totally against a league trying to keep its players on a high moral plane, but in general I feel the sentence determined in a court of law should be considered sufficient.

    I agree with the sentiment that being a professional athlete is a privilege, not a right; however, I also feel that leagues are not publicly-owned and should be allowed to employ whomsoever they choose.

    ReplyDelete